The Governments Energy Emergencies Executive Committee (E3C) has been commissioned to undertake a review of the power system disruption after last Friday’s outages.
On Friday 9 August 2019 a power disruption resulted from the operation of Low Frequency Demand Disconnection relays on the Great Britain power system at about 4.54 pm. It impacted hundreds of thousands of customers and caused significant secondary impacts in particular to the transport network. Though demand was fully restored within 90 minutes, the secondary impacts continued to be felt for much of the day.
In particular E3C will:
- assess direct and secondary impacts of the event across GB electricity networks
- Identify areas of good practice and where improvements are required for system resilience
- consider load shedding in regard to essential service customers and prioritisation
- consider timeliness and content of public communications during the incident
- make recommendations for essential service resilience to power disruptions
For more details click here